Job ref: 5626
Full time, permanent
Vacancies in various locations nationwide (Leeds, Warrington, Solihull, Peterborough, Lincoln, Welwyn Garden City, Reading, Worthing and Exeter).
As a Senior Estates Surveyor you will take a lead role in the estates team, you will be a role model to the assistant surveyors and estates surveyors you work with. You will hold a RICS qualification, and have extensive land and property experience. Whilst working in this role you will be involved in a wide variety of surveying work, this will keep your days varied and interesting enabling you to use your knowledge and experience you gained through your career. There will be opportunities for you to develop yourself further as you take a leading role in managing and delivering some major projects. You will take a lead on delivering land entry and acquisition and will also deal with all aspects of estate management including leases and disposals. If you are interested in people management there will be opportunities for you manage a small team of surveyors, experience in this area is not essential. Working as an Estates surveyor in the Environment agency will mean that the environment will be at the heart of everything you do, your work will ensure that we maximise our financial profits and drive forward positive environmental outcomes for our local communities.
You will mentor other team members, particularly those progressing towards full RICS membership
You’ll be expected to travel to visit remote field sites, so you’ll need a full UK driving licence. A lease car will be provided. Some overnight stays may be necessary.
RICS qualified, you have a proven track record delivering results in an operational environment. You will also have experience of negotiation and dispute resolution with landowners and occupiers. Broad project management experience would be useful, and if you can demonstrate how you’ve supported major capital projects, even better. Credible, knowledgeable and influential, you’re a confident communicator with good networking, negotiation and dispute resolution skills. With up-to-date knowledge of current legislation and best practice, you’re able to provide specialist advice to senior managers, external partners and tenants.
We operate at the place where environmental change has its greatest impact on people’s lives. We reduce the risks to people and properties from flooding; make sure there is enough water for people and wildlife; protect and improve air, land and water quality and apply the environmental standards within which industry can operate. From regulating major industry to improving water quality, from reducing pollution incidents to the regulation of waste management activities, it’s our job to create a better place for people and wildlife.
The Estates team offers professional support for Environment Agency land, property, compensation and valuation matters. Our experienced Chartered Surveyors specialise in negotiating access to sites so that our frontline colleagues can do their vital work. We deal with compensation claims from land and property owners where they have suffered loss as a consequence of the Environment Agency's work. We also manage the Environment Agency's own landholdings and provide a comprehensive valuation service.
As well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the environment, you can look forward to a competitive package with a range of benefits, these include:
- A generous career average pension scheme (18.5% contributions from us)
- Holiday allowance related to grade and length of service, rising from 27 days to 30 days per year, plus 8 statutory public and bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Generous enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes
- Leave for examinations, approved studies, public duties, special/reserve forces, environmental work, trade union representatives and health and safety representatives
- A range of flexible working options, including flexi-time - these depend on business needs, but our aim is to help you achieve a positive work-life balance
- Occupational health benefits, including counselling and advisory service, eye care service and access to our employee assistance service
- Interest free loans for season tickets and/or bicycles and safety equipment
- Childcare vouchers scheme
- Subsidised sports and social clubs
- Up to two days paid environmental outcome days each year. These give you the opportunity to take part in community activities with a clear environmental outcome for people and wildlife
- Other rewards, including shopping, leisure, fitness, finance and travel benefits and discounts
We will support your continued personal and professional development too: we’ll put a formal development plan in place for you and help you to identify and address any skills gaps.
We are passionate about employing people from all backgrounds that reflect the diverse communities we serve. Help us make a difference in an organisation that embraces difference and values everyone. Diversity: it’s in our nature.